AIDS Awareness Month

Elena Zeman, Op/Ed Editor

In 2015, over 39,000 people were diagnosed with Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) in the United States alone. At the end of 2015, there were more than 36.7 million people living with Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) globally.

AIDS is a condition caused by HIV. This virus weakens the body’s immune system and opens the body up to many other infections. It makes the infected person susceptible to many diseases, such as cancer.

December 1st was World AIDS Day and the whole month is designated to AIDS awareness. During this month, people are educated on the topic of AIDS, as well as remembering those who passed away due to the virus. Also, it is a time of celebration and appreciation of the ever-increasing treatments and prevention services. To show support for the fight against HIV/AIDS, a red ribbon is often worn.

NJCU offers free HIV and STD testing right on campus year-round while classes are in session. There was testing available December 5th and it will be available again on December 19th from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. The testing will be done at the Health and Wellness Center, which is located on the first floor of Vodra Hall. If you cannot make it during these specific days, testing is available almost every month. One can inquire about the specific dates and times by visiting the Health and Wellness Center.

If you cannot make any of the dates and times that are available on campus, then there is another option. A Counseling and Testing Site is situated not far from the university that provides free HIV and STD testing. It is located on 1825 Kennedy Blvd in Jersey City.

It is important to stay aware and educated on the topic of AIDS. This not only includes being aware of testing for the virus but also how to prevent yourself from being exposed to it. There are various websites on the topic with up-to-date information on how the virus is transmitted, defenses against the virus, testing information and available treatments.