Black History Month at NJCU

Eliezer Flores

February is winding down, but there are still two great events you can catch on campus to celebrate Black History Month.

On Wednesday, February 23, the Black Alumni, Administrators, Faculty, Student and Staff Organization (BAAFSSO) will sponsor the Shango Meeting at 2 p.m. in room 217 – GSUB. The Shango group is an organization on campus that promotes the healthy development and success of African American and Latino men attending the university. During this meeting, the group will openly and informally discuss various topics of interest. It’s free to attend. For more information on the Shango meeting, please refer to their website: www.njcu.edu/baafsso/shango-group/.

Later in the day on Wednesday, starting at 6 p.m., check out the The Big Africa Soiree from 6:00 in the Multipurpose Room B in GSUB. The event is co-sponsored by the African Students Association and Iota Phi Theta. The event is $3 for students to attend and runs until 9:30 p.m.

These events are important for many to attend, as it builds unity among the school’s community. Jeffrey Dessources, assistant director of Campus Life, is one of the people responsible for organizing the events on campus for Black History Month. “It is important for our institution to represent the student and community population as it celebrates them and those before them that paved the way. It honors them and keeps the memory alive for the future to learn.”

Earlier in the month there were several other events that took place, including a Lobby Concert Series featuring the Marxman group. BAAFSSO also sponsored the Sounding Board Salon with Prof. Sonya Donaldson; later in the month she was also the featured speaker at Inside the Faculty Studio, held in the bookstore.

To see the entire list of events, please visit: www.njcu.edu/baafsso/events/